As can be seen below, this was the condition of one of the distribution boards, found on site by one of Guardian’s electrical inspectors. This specific board was left open to a huge amount of dust and resultantly looks like this due to the time of exposure. This therefore creates a huge hazard that could end with a fire, putting both the employees and site at risk.
In accordance with the IET 18th Edition, this would breach regulation 522.4.2 – “In a location where dust in significant quantity is present, additionally precautions shall be taken to prevent the accumulation of dust or other substances in quantities which could adversely affect heat dissipation from the wiring system”.
According to the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989, it is the duty holders’ responsibility to ensure complete electrical compliance in the workplace and to provide ‘Safe systems at work, Safe places of work, Safe people at work’. This means that electrical installations and equipment must be inspected and tested by a qualified and competent person at regular intervals.