During a recent inspection and testing programme one of our inspectors discovered this damaged twin plug socket, with exposed phase and earth internal bus connections, located in a school classroom.
This hazard shows the importance of regular inspection and testing on-site, as this damaged plug socket was never reported to the on-site maintenance team. The circuit was isolated, the duty holder was quickly informed and remedial action was taken immediately by the Guardian team.
Damaged plug sockets can be extremely dangerous and expose risks to both property and people. Fires or electrocution could be a consequence of such a fault. The extensive use of powerboards and double adapters can cause serious damage by overheating cables and contacts, worst case causing electrical fires and electrocution.